Jesse

Monday 20 July 2015

The Rewards of Laziness


 There is a back corner in my garden that I don't usually talk about.  Even in spring, when my intentions are pure and all my friends and family have been informed that this is going to be my best garden ever, I rarely go into detail about what what will be planted here.  Because a small part of me knows that it will be neglected.

Why this happens, I don't know.  But it seems to be getting worse over the years.  It brings on a certain amount of guilt, which probably contributes to my further avoidance of it... but that's a metaphor about sin for another day.

Today's metaphor is about being too quick to judge.  Especially when your knowledge is limited.  Because the atrocity I found growing in the back corner this spring  would have been quickly dispatched, had it been in any other part of my garden.  Since it was where it was, I made mental notes to myself to deal with it at some point in the future.  Which, of course, never came.  And then, one day, this happened.


The monstrosity blossomed.

I had to go through my old seed receipts to discover that it's name was Hollyhock Nigra, and that it had been planted 3 years ago - and, obviously, thought to be a dismal failure, like most of the other perennials I have tried to grow from seed.


So there you have it.  Sometimes, neglected back corners can yield pleasant surprises.  If you can afford the space, don't be too quick to pull that weed.  Wait a while.  It could be a hollyhock.

Happy procrastinating!

No comments: